Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Describing a Travel Experience from Hell

Yesterday afternoon, The Oracle set out to fly to Tallahassee for a meeting scheduled for this morning. The trip started smoothly, and my flight landed on time in Atlanta. Then, the fun began:

1) The flight from Atlanta to Tallahassee had been cancelled.
2) I found a customer service phone, where I learned that I had already been booked for the next day (today) on a flight that would get me to Tallahassee too late to attend the meeting that was the purpose of my trip. The CSR was pleasant, but we agreed that the only option was to put me on a flight to Dallas today.
3) I stood in line for over an hour in order to get my voucher for a hotel room.
4) I stood in a crowd -- occasionally a surly crowd -- for over an hour trying to get a shuttle seat to the hotel that the airport had provided a voucher for (if I had it to do over again, I would have paid for a cab, but events sort of moved along).
5) I finally managed along with 17 other people to get on a shuttle van with 12 seats. I was standing, and, because of the crowd, had my feet too close together to maintain balance. Going around a sharp curve, I nearly fell into the lap of a fairly attractive woman, which might have been ok, except she was already sitting in the lap of her husband.
6) At the hotel, I stood in a line for 45 minutes waiting to check in.
7) This morning, I arrived back in Dallas, only to find that Delta had not properly re-routed my bag. I was near the front of that line, so by noon, I had put in my lost bag claim.
8) I learn this evening that my lost bag boarded a plane to Tallahassee this afternoon, arriving in Florida after 6:00 pm. It supposedly will arrive in Dallas on the first flight tomorrow morning.

It has not been a good day.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lanette said...

While reading paragraph section 5, the Oracle's fiance crosses her arms, taps her foot, and clears her throat as she glares at the computer screen.

4:39 PM  
Blogger MCO said...

The Oracle couldn't help where he was standing -- or falling. We were like sardines.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Lanette said...

Lucky sardine.

7:28 PM  
Blogger spacecadette said...

I guess you were traveling on Delta? They handle flights into and out of Tallahassee as "optional." Don't ever book the last flight out of Tallahasee...

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home