Monday, May 05, 2008

Visiting the Alamo

Everyone -- literally -- I have known that has visited the Alamo has told me the same thing: they were disappointed. While that was not my reaction when I visited there on Saturday, I understand it. The fort itself is right in the middle of San Antonio and is a fairly small area. Visiting the Alamo is not at all an experience like visiting Gettysburg or Shiloh.

That being said, I enjoyed the visit. The information in the church and on a wall of information outside was interesting, and a guide gave a passionate presentation on the history of the area and the actual battle. Admission is free.

Approximately 200 defenders of the fort were overwhelmed by the 2,000 plus soldier Mexican army led by Santa Anna. All of the men were killed, though 14 women and children were spared and allowed to leave by the Mexican army.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home