Monday, April 21, 2008

Why Thoughtful Spiritual Leadership Matters

Al Mohler, the President of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, rightly points out the relativism inherent in language that talks about "values," as opposed to talking about morals. He is also right when he says that the acceptance of values language in churches represents an "abdication of moral leadership." However, the use of this language goes way back and initially resulted from church leaders not understanding what was at stake in the language that was used. By the early '80's, churches were talking about "Christian values," instead of talking about right and wrong, good and evil.

Fifteen years ago, I made a presentation at a church at which I discussed the notion that talking of "values" was relativistic and undermined belief in a universally applicable morality. After the service, the pastor, who was seminary trained and conservative in his beliefs, but who told me he spoke frequently of "Christian values," had to question me for sometime because he could not figure out what I meant.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lanette said...

I didn't realize there was a difference between morality and values either until I clicked on the link to Al Mohler's blog. He makes alot of sense, and this trend has been so insidious it has even crept into traditional churches. I have heard several Christians talk about "personal convictions" meaning God supposedly convicts one person about one thing, but allows the same behavior in someone else. That sort of religious double-speak always confused me.

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home