Friday, January 11, 2008

Confronting Evil in Our World

Nathan Moore is one of my favorite bloggers because he battles hard on ideas, but always does so with civility and class. I agree 100% with his comments on those who have done otherwise with regard to the recent downfall of one Tennessee legislator:

As far as I can tell, there is video evidence that the guy had a complete psychological meltdown. He may be a Democrat, and a liberal Democrat, but I have never, and will never, want to see anyone personally destroyed, either by their own hand or at the hands of another. In the theater of open political warfare, it’s the ideas I want to defeat, not the person.

I enjoy a good fight on the issues, and don't mind taking the gloves off for those kind of debates, but anyone who enjoys the personal downfall of a political opponent is just evil. There is a lot of evil in our world. This week, I was reading Solzhenitsyn:

"The line that divides good from evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart."

This line from The Gulag Archipelago is appropriate in that the author had just told a story lamenting that his own capacity for arrogance and pride made him more like his opponents (Stalin's interrogators) than he wished to admit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home