Monday, February 05, 2007

Giuliani on Judges

Ed Morrissey provides excerpts from a transcript in which the socially liberal Rudy Giuliani says that he would appoint strict constructionists to the Supreme Court:

On the Federal judiciary I would want judges who are strict constructionists because I am. I'm a lawyer. I've argued cases in the Supreme Court. I've argued cases in the Court of Appeals in different parts of the country. I have a very, very strong view that for this country to work, for our freedoms to be protected, judges have to interpret not invent the Constitution.

For principled conservatives who value the means and not just the ends, that should be sufficient. However, one fears that if Giuliani were actually in the position of appointing a justice that he would cave in to those who only desire outcomes in favor of Roe and would forget about these strict constructionist ideals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home