Thursday, November 09, 2006

Speaking for before Speaking against

The Oracle dislikes this sort of thing:

Rush Limbaugh: "I no longer am going to have to carry the water for people who I don't think deserve having their water carried. Now, you might say, "Well, why have you been doing it?" Because the stakes are high. Even though the Republican Party let us down, to me they represent a far better future for my beliefs and therefore the country's than the Democrat Party and liberalism does."

Hugh Hewitt: "In the closing weeks of the campaign season, I felt like I was a lawyer who had a bad client while writing this blog. That client was the Republican Party which had broken its Contract with America from 1994 and had become unmoored from its conservative principles."

The Oracle is not opposed to taking pragmatic approaches in order to promote a desired outcome. One can pick and choose subject matter and can frame arguments in order to play up positives and minimize negatives for favored candidates. That being said, the above admissions seem self-serving, and they are a rhetorical slap in the face to their listeners and readers during the campaign who believed Limbaugh and Hewitt's arguments and evident passion and took them seriously.

1 Comments:

Blogger John H said...

I'm probably optimistic, but I'm really hoping that the balancing out here will include neglecting non-nuanced shills for the right and the left.

Voices of reason will always be heard. The arrogrance and hubris will hopefully drown out the blather.

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home