Friday, August 18, 2006

Words You Never Expected in One Sentence: Wilder and Lifetime Achievement Award

Proving that geography can trump true accomplishment, the National Conference of State Legislatures began its final general session in Nashville this morning by presenting a Lifetime Achievement Award to Lt. Governor John Wilder, who responded with the kind of eloquence and coherence that Tennesseans have come to expect from the man who is one tick bite away from the Governor's office. After rambling aimlessly for a couple of minutes about how important legislatures are, Wilder said that serving in the legislature was more important than serving in the military. For those of us who were scratching our heads, Wilder explained that the country won't be taken down if a soldier gets shot, but it will be lost if legislators don't balance budgets.

I promise: I am not creative enough to make this stuff up.

Then, in a statement that gave me a headache when I tried to parse it, Wilder declared, "I didn't really know what I wanted to do when I became a senator, and I am one, and you are, too."

Anyone who can at all explain what that means deserves a lifetime achievement award.

3 Comments:

Blogger John H said...

a mind is a terrible thing to waste, especially if you don't have one!

I think that is from the golden tongue of D. Quayle, but it certainly applies here

4:01 PM  
Blogger Donna Locke said...

I'm glad he spoke. This will surely bring us the sympathy of many. Or the suspicion.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Newscoma said...

There is no explanation.

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home